Setting up your own business can be an exciting time. Before you start, save yourself time and money by being aware of what’s involved in running a business.
Investing time into proper planning is key to turning your dreams into reality.
Operating a small business is not just about working for yourself or working from home, it’s also about having the necessary management skills, industry expertise, technical skills, finance and of course a long-term vision to grow and succeed.
Starting your business checklist
Use our Starting your business checklist to guide you through the various stages.
Thinking of starting a business?
It’s important to consider whether you really understand what’s involved and whether you’re suited to business and self employment. Start by asking yourself these questions:
- How do I choose a business name
- What skills do I need to start a business?
- What are my business goals, objectives and skills?
- How much income will my business need to generate?
- Is this a business or a hobby?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of starting my own business?
- Have you written your business plan and marketing plan?
Ready to start your business?
You don’t need to pay someone to register your business, you can do it all yourself, online. Registering your business can be done from the comfort of your own home or office. Follow these steps when creating your business:
- Choose your business structures and types
- Apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- Register your business name and trade mark
- Register a website name
- What taxes do I need to register for
- Registration and licences to start a business
- Buy or lease a business premises
- Arrange insurance for your business
- Find out about selling products and services.