By Neelesh Kripalani, CTO, Clover Infotech
Once again, we have reached that time of the year, when technology enthusiasts tend to predict which upcoming tech trend is going to disrupt our lives in the near future. The technology landscape across the globe goes through constant reformations with new trends continually reshaping our world in many ways.
Here are some tech trends that will gain momentum and develop further in 2024:
1. Democratized Generative AI – Generative AI is becoming democratized by the confluence of massively pre-trained models, cloud computing, and open source – making these models accessible to everyone worldwide.
GenAI will level the playing field in terms of access to information and skills across a broad set of roles and business functions, making it one of the most disruptive trends of this decade. Hence, Gartner predicts that by 2026, over 80% of enterprises will have used GenAI APIs and models, and/or deployed GenAI-enabled applications in production environments.
2. Sustainable Technology – Sustainable technology is set to revolutionize our future by reducing environmental impact, conserving resources, and driving economic growth. It promotes clean energy, resource efficiency, and economic resilience, while increasing access to essential services and bolstering research and innovation. For instance, cloud computing reduces carbon footprints through energy-efficient data centers, resource sharing, and scaling flexibility.
Many cloud providers prioritize green energy adoption and data center locations with favourable environmental conditions, reducing reliance on fossil fuels and further lowering their carbon footprint. Such advancements in sustainable technologies are offering more innovative solutions to address environmental challenges and open the way for a greener future.
3. AI Trust, Risk and Security Management – AI Trust, Risk and Security Management (AI TRiSM) is an emerging technology trend that will revolutionize businesses in coming years. The AI TRiSM framework helps identify, monitor, and reduce potential risks associated with using AI technology in organizations – including the buzzy generative and adaptive AIs. By using this framework, organizations can ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and data privacy laws.
As per Gartner, AI TRiSM is a framework that supports AI model governance, trustworthiness, fairness, reliability, robustness, efficacy and data protection.
4. Trust Architecture – In 2019, more than 8.5 billion data records were compromised. Despite advances in cybersecurity, threat actors are always on the lookout to launch new cyberattacks. As a growing trend, trust architecture will help in the fight against cybercrime. One way to build a trust architecture is through the use of distributed ledgers, such as blockchain.
Enterprises are increasingly focusing on building trust architecture as it lowers the risk of breaches and reduces the cost of complying with security regulations. It also brings down the expenses associated with ensuring holistic security.
5. Platform Engineering – A rapidly evolving tech trend, platform engineering focuses on creating and maintaining robust, scalable, and flexible platforms to support various applications and services. Key aspects include the adoption of cloud-native architectures, micro-services, and DevOps practices.
Platform engineering uses an API-first approach that fosters interoperability and flexibility. With the emergence of edge computing, platform engineers are extending their focus to build platforms that distribute computation closer to edge devices.
As we embark into the year 2024, it would be interesting to see how these technologies will advance and progress further. The global technology landscape has a huge growth potential.
However, it will also face grave privacy, security, and ethical challenges. Anticipating the industry’s response to these intricate challenges is an exciting prospect, as it will propel us towards a more resilient and responsible future.
(The author is Chief Technology Officer at Clover Infotech)