By Vipul Jain, CEO, Advancells
With a remarkable count of 351,198 confirmed coronavirus cases globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are actively monitoring and trying to prevent the transmission of coronavirus disease that has gripped the global community with its alarming pandemic arms.
Depending on the level of risks, CDC has already asked individuals and families to self-quarantine and stay in isolation.
There is a difference between quarantine and isolation, i.e., a quarantine separates people who may have been exposed to the infection and an isolation separates already sick people from the healthy ones.
As a priority, it is always better to practice self-quarantine procedures in these times of pandemic as people are not certain about whether they are suffering from flu or cold or COVID-19.
More and more people are slowly being tested positive for coronavirus infection and there is an urgent need to practice and understand the importance of self-quarantine in order to prevent the spread of the infection.
Tips for Self-Quarantining:
- Prevent contact with family members and relatives. It is better to stay in a separate room and use a separate bathroom, if available.
- Reports have indicated that pets can test positive for COVID-19 but cannot transmit it to humans and WHO has also said that no such transmission reports have been found . It is therefore better to limit contact with the pets as Coronavirus is a zoonotic virus and our pets should be safe.
- Prevent meeting visitors from outside unless very urgent or necessary. Do not go outside frequently for daily needs.
- For any medical attention, be prepared to tackle the situation wisely and seek proper medical help from authorized nursing homes and hospitals instead of involving your family members or friends.
- A face mask is always advised when around people, inside or outside the house.
- A tissue is always handy to cover the mouth and nose while sneezing. Make sure that the tissue is not re-used and your hands and face are washed properly with soap and sanitizers to maintain a proper hygiene.
- Household items and personal items should not be shared and if in case they are used by more than one person, it is important to wash and sanitize them thoroughly beforehand.
- Cleanliness and hygiene are the best prevention possible in times of self-quarantine. Prevent any stain of body fluids or blood on solid surfaces.
- Monitoring the symptoms every day is very important so that you can call your healthcare provider without any delay.
When to stop self-quarantine?
Self-quarantines last on a case-to-case basis and therefore it is always advisable to keep your medical personnel updated regarding your symptoms before taking any step.
The self-quarantine time period limits till the upper time limit of COVID-19 incubation period, which is approximately 14 days.
Once the incubation period is over and the symptoms do not indicate a COVID-19 infection, after being checked by an experienced healthcare provider, one can take a sigh of relief behind the N95 mask!
An MBA grad from Rochester Institute of Technology, New York, Vipul established Advancells in 2013. The research-based company focuses on providing cutting-edge Stem Cell Therapies for patients with life threatening diseases and also targets lifestyle diseases with anti-aging technology.